If you or a loved one has been injured by another person’s recklessness or negligence, you may choose to file a personal injury lawsuit. This lawsuit will seek compensation for your injuries, hardships, and expenses incurred as a result of the accident. An experienced Atlanta personal injury lawyer can guide you through the process, simplifying the legal system and providing time to focus on healing.
Your Atlanta personal injury attorney can speak to key witnesses, communicate with your insurance company, negotiate a settlement, and ensure your ability to meet important deadlines.
Schnipper Law has years of experience filing, and winning, personal injury cases. Our team is dedicated to your health, well-being, and financial support. To learn more, call our office at 404-983-6051.
Examples of Injury Cases
The term “personal injury” is a blanket statement, covering many possible accidents and injuries. The most common cases often include:
- Medical Malpractice
- Wrong-Way Accidents
- Defective Products
- Car Accidents
- Commercial Truck Accidents
- Motorcycle Accidents
- Slip-and-Fall Accidents
Even though injuries may vary based on your case, our focus remains the same. We will fight for the compensation you deserve from the party responsible for your pain and suffering.
When you file a personal injury lawsuit, your personal injury attorney will assist in calculating a final number for your compensation request. While this number should be reasonable in terms of your case, it shouldn’t pay medical bills alone. In addition, it may include:
To help your Atlanta personal injury lawyer reach a number that serves your best interests, keep all medical bills, insurance records, and expense reports. We also suggest keeping a journal of your emotions and thoughts throughout the healing process, which will significantly aid your request for pain and suffering compensation.
How The Process Works
When you choose to file a lawsuit, a number of things happen. While an experienced personal injury lawyer can describe the timeline and expectations for your particular case, the following steps occur in most lawsuits:
- Step 1: You, the plaintiff, make a decision to file a lawsuit after being injured in a car accident, truck accident, or other accident caused by the negligence or recklessness of another individual or entity.
- Step 2: You get in touch with a personal injury lawyer for representation.
- Step 3: Your personal injury attorney explains the repercussions of your particular case, writing a list of items that need to be collected. These could include medical bills, photographs, police reports, and other documented expenses.
- Step 4: You may receive an offer from the defendant, requesting to settle outside the courtroom. An offer for compensation is made in exchange for a promise not to file a lawsuit. You are under no obligation to accept this settlement. Your attorney will advise you on the best course of action.
- Step 5: If the settlement is refused, your personal injury attorney will file a lawsuit.
- Step 6: While waiting for your court date to arrive, your personal injury lawyer may continue to negotiate a possible settlement with the defendant. This settlement can be accepted anytime before you reach a courtroom.
- Step 7: Assuming no settlement is reached, a jury determines the liability of the defendant. If the defendant is found liable for the accident in question, an amount is awarded in damages. This amount is based on your compensation request, medical bills, witness statements, and other factors.
Few lawsuits are settled quickly. Your lawsuit may take months to reach a courtroom. If the verdict is unfavorable and you wish to proceed, an appeal process begins. Your Atlanta personal injury attorney can walk you through these proceedings as they become relevant to your case.
You should note, however, that most cases are settled before their scheduled court date. In 2005, the U.S. Department of Justice released a report showing personal injury cases are decided by a trial in federal courts 80 percent less often than two decades ago. A settlement shortens the process and protects both parties from months of legal entanglement.
Still, the decision to settle or continue is yours. For this reason, it’s essential to have an experienced Atlanta personal injury attorney to represent you.
Contact an Experienced Atlanta Personal Injury Lawyer for Representation
In the state of Georgia, you have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. If this deadline passes, you’ll never be able to obtain compensation for your injuries.
If you or a loved one has fallen victim to personal injury, contact our Atlanta personal injury lawyer at Schnipper Law by calling 404-983-6051. Our team is devoted to obtaining the compensation you deserve.