On the roadway, motorcyclists face a dangerous disadvantage. A typical motorcycle accident gives the driver less than two seconds to complete all avoidance or defensive action. Since roughly 75% of all motorcycle accidents involve collisions with another vehicle – and 65% of those accidents are caused by the other vehicle violating the motorcyclist’s right of way – motorcyclists are in constant danger of distracted and negligent drivers. When these accidents lead to serious injury, a Atlanta motorcycle accident lawyer is contacted.
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in a motorcycle accident caused by a negligent driver, you have the right to file a personal injury lawsuit. This lawsuit will seek financial compensation for past and future medical bills, loss of income, permanent care, pain and suffering, and other expenses incurred as a result of the injury.
An experienced Atlanta motorcycle accident attorney can help you navigate this process by speaking with potential witnesses, collecting and filing paperwork, communicating with insurance companies, and accessing police reports.
At Schnipper Law, our team is dedicated to your safety, health, and recovery. We have years of experience in personal injury law – and we’re more than happy to help. Call our office at 404-983-6051 to learn more.
The most common injuries sustained in motorcycle accidents (by the motorcyclist) include:
While wearing a helmet can drastically reduce the risk of incurring a serious brain or skull injury, motorcyclists often suffer from long-lasting or permanent injuries that require ongoing pain medication, medical equipment, health assistance, and physical therapy. All of these expenses can, and should, be reimbursed through a personal injury lawsuit filed against the responsible party.
Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycle accidents are caused by a variety of factors, including inclement weather and poor roadway conditions. The most common causes, however, include:
- Intoxicated Drivers – Accidents caused by drunk drivers are perhaps the most dangerous to motorcyclists since drivers are completely unable to focus on the roadway, often striking motorcycles head-on.
- Distracted Drivers – When drivers choose to text or engage in other distractions while driving, motorcycles can be missed. Distracted drivers often make questionable lane changes, rear-end motorcycles, or run motorcyclists off the road altogether.
- Traffic Violations – Violations are, by far, the most common cause of motorcycle accidents. These can include failure to yield, driving over the speed limit, failure to signal, or running a stop sign.
- Defective Parts – While the majority of motorcycle accidents are caused by negligent drivers, some accidents are caused by defective motorcycle parts. In these cases, a personal injury lawsuit can be filed against the manufacturer.
Because motorcycles are often difficult to see, it’s essential to pay attention to the entire roadway at all times. Otherwise, innocent motorcyclists can be seriously injured or even killed
If you aren’t sure what caused your accident, an experienced Atlanta motorcycle accident lawyer can speak with witnesses, review police reports, and conduct an investigation to find an answer. Knowing the cause of your accident will help significantly when filing a personal injury lawsuit.
Steps to Take Following an Accident
If you’ve been injured or involved in a motorcycle accident, the following steps are essential to your well-being and future legal proceedings:
- Step 1: Remove yourself from the roadway to avoid further injury. If you feel pain in your neck or back, do not move.
- Step 2: Request medical attention. You may need to ask a witness or driver to contact first responders.
- Step 3: Write down the name and badge numbers of all responding officers. You should also request a police report be written. You’ll likely need a copy of this report later.
- Step 4: Contact an experienced motorcycle accident attorney. Be wary of accepting a settlement from an insurance company until you’ve had a chance to speak with your attorney. Taking a settlement before getting professional assistance may prevent you from getting compensation for all of your injuries and expenses.
- Step 5: Request copies and records of all medical and legal proceedings.
Contact an Experienced Motorcycle Accident Lawyer for Representation
In the state of Georgia, you have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. If you allow this deadline to pass, you’ll never receive compensation for your injuries.
No one deserves to be injured in a motorcycle accident by a careless driver. If you or a loved one has suffered from such an injury, contact our experienced Atlanta motorcycle accident lawyer at Schnipper Law by calling 404-983-6051. Our team is devoted to your case – and we’ll fight for the compensation you deserve.