In the United States, nearly 40,000 people die in automobile accidents each year. Another 2.35 million are injured, hospitalized, or permanently disabled. When accidents are caused by careless drivers, victims are encouraged to contact a Atlanta car accident lawyer for assistance in filing a personal injury lawsuit.
This lawsuit will seek compensation for injuries incurred as a result of the accident. Compensation awarded in a personal injury lawsuit may cover past and future medical bills, loss of income, funeral expenses, pain and suffering, and related financial or emotional burdens.
After being injured in an automobile accident, it’s important to contact a Atlanta car accident lawyer as soon as possible. Your auto accident attorney will assist you in speaking to witnesses, communicating with insurance companies, and sifting through police reports.
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in an automobile accident caused by another person’s recklessness or negligence, contact an experienced car accident lawyer at Schnipper Law P.C. Our team is dedicated to obtaining the compensation you deserve. Call 404-545-5845 to learn more.
Causes of Atlanta Car Accidents
Automobile accidents occur regularly on Atlanta roadways and are caused by a variety of factors, including inclement weather and poor road conditions. However, many accidents are caused by careless drivers, responsible for:
If you’ve been injured in an Atlanta car accident caused by one of these dangerous decisions, it’s essential to speak with an experienced Atlanta auto accident lawyer about your legal options.
Common Injuries in Atlanta Car Accidents
Automobile accidents remain a leading cause of serious injury. More than 5.6 million car accidents were reported in the United States in 2012 alone. Common injuries incurred as a result of these accidents include:
- Whiplash – When the head or neck moves suddenly, causing muscle and ligament damage. These injuries vary depending on the person and the severity of the accident.
- Chest Injuries – When blunt force trauma leads to broken ribs, collapsed lungs, internal bleeding, or cardiac arrest.
- Internal Organ Damage – When heavy impact damages organs. These injuries require immediate medical attention.
- Concussions or Contusions – When something strikes the head (such as a windshield or steering wheel). These injuries range from mild to severe and should always be taken seriously.
- General Head Injuries – When the skull is fractured, hearing is lost, or vision is affected. After such an injury, victims may require extensive medical treatment and long-term care.
- Spinal Cord Injuries – When the spinal cord is partially or completely severed. These injuries often lead to paraplegia or quadriplegia.
- Treatable Injuries – When relatively common and treatable injuries occur, such as broken bones, bruises, and ligament damage.
All of these injuries qualify for compensation in a personal injury lawsuit.
Steps to Take After a Car Accident
If you’ve been injured or involved in an automobile accident, the following steps are critical:
- Step 1: Remain on-scene, even if you haven’t been injured.
- Step 2: Provide assistance to those who need it. Get immediate medical attention for anyone with serious injuries. You should never move someone who is unconscious or suffering from neck or back discomfort unless you have no other choice. Try to move all victims off the roadway.
- Step 3: Call the police. When officers arrive, ask for names and badge numbers. Request that a police report be filed. Get a copy of this report.
- Step 4: Exchange information with other drivers involved in the accident, including phone numbers, addresses, drivers’ license numbers, license plate numbers, and insurance information.
- Step 5: Look for potential witnesses. Get their names and phone numbers.
- Step 6: If you have a smartphone on your person, take photographs of damage done to yourself or your vehicle.
- Step 7: Keep records of your medical treatment, including the names and contact information of all medical professionals you encounter. Request copies of reports and bills.
- Step 8: Get in touch with an experienced Atlanta car accident lawyer for representation. Otherwise, you may not receive compensation for all of your injuries and expenses.
Contact an Experienced Atlanta Car Accident Lawyer for Assistance
In the state of Georgia, you have two years to file a personal injury lawsuit. Once this window closes, you can never receive compensation for your injuries.
If you or a loved one has been injured or killed in an automobile accident, contact an experienced Atlanta car accident lawyer at Schnipper Law P.C. by calling 404-545-5845. While you focus on your recovery, our team will focus on fighting for the compensation you deserve.